Old 10-23-10, 09:06 PM
folder fanatic
Banned.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Robert Foster
All I am trying to say is people need to look at their life and see what challenges they will have and if it is worth it to give something up to be car free. I am not talking hypothetical car free where you have someone else drive your stuff to places you want to go or like some government people that ride a bike and have a limousine follow them around town. I am talking about living a life where you can participate in the arts, sports, travel, hunting, camping and exploration of the country we live in.

So often I hear people talk about being car free as if nothing else in their life has to change because they can do everything any of their car light or vehicle only friends can. That simply isn’t the truth and the whole truth. I do admire those in these forums that have families and have managed to incorporate a car free life style into their life. But to be honest if their children aspire to participate in many of the after school activates their friend’s do the car free parents have to either limit what the activities are or relent and allow their children to become the burden of non car free parents so they can participate in those activities. It simply isn’t as easy as the Nike saying, “just do it.”
I would like to add that I am now about to become a member of the "car light" group now as my circumstances in my life is changing even as I write this. I was completely & proudly "car free" as an adult for probably more years than most people here are now. But life is not static and nether is my changes in my own responsibilities or my own mortality. Just remember that being car free is a true ideal, but something which in a modern North American society seems not to promote or accept such a good and socially responsible lifestyle as a completely carless one.

Last edited by folder fanatic; 10-23-10 at 09:11 PM.