Old 10-25-10, 04:18 PM
Robert Foster
Banned.

Bikes: Lapierre CF Sensium 400. Jamis Ventura Sport. Trek 800. Giant Cypress.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by crazybikerchick
It seems the idea is good in theory but has too many possibilities for resentments and broken friendships. People that don't care of tools the same we would take care of our own tools.

As an example, when I owned a car 15 years ago, I lent it to some acquaintances for a weekend in exchange for a ride to and pickup from the airport. They said they just wanted to go camping just outside of town. They ended up driving the car a whopping 800 km, I don't even think they filled the tank back up, and re-lent the car to others without my prior knowledge so that when I called for a pickup from the airport, the car was not available!

Unfortunately it usually only takes one person taking advantage of a situation to convince people its best to avoid that situation entirely.

Or on the other hand I have had people I thought were good friends refuse to lend a seldom-used tool. Which causes resentment too.
One of the best pieces of advice I have ever received was, never loan anything to anyone you can’t afford to lose. If you get it back you will be happily surprised and if you don’t you won’t be angry.
The real problem is as you expressed, many or even most people don’t take care of their tools, bikes, cars or homes like an owner would. Go to any car rental agency and look at the new cars compared to privately owned ones at a work place parking lot.
The other problem is we live in a litigious society so if you loan someone your car you are responsible for any damage they cause. If they are insured fine but if the damage exceeds their insurance, you are responsible.

It is the difference between living in a world of, “I don’t understand why we can’t,” and a world of, “that is the way things are.”