View Single Post
Old 10-26-10, 04:35 PM
zeppinger

Bikes: Giant FCR3, Surly LHT

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Damn, there sure are a lot of people who own cars on this here Living Car-Free forum.

I don't think of being car-free as having to sacrifice, being difficult, or anything else. Being car-free, like many things in life is a trade off. I trade the "freedom" of being able to blindly hop in a car at any given time, for the freedom to call a taxi, bike, take a bus, take the subway, carpool, or any combination of those things. I gain the financial freedom to take 3-4 months off a year for travling. Roody chooses to work only 4 days a week. We all make choices and its obvious that its a trade off. Based on some of the post on this threat of "car-free people" would think its almost impossible to live a full and happy life without owning an automobile!

You can go on all day about the benefits of owning a car. Are we not all well aware of them as a society already? However, I see little point in a bunch of car owner whining about how hard it would be for them to go free for one reason or another on a thread that was clearly aimed at a discussion against such narrow thinking.