View Single Post
Old 05-16-05, 04:59 PM
lilHinault

Bikes: .

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The MUP that goes from Newport Beach to Seal Beach is a zoo on weekends, heck I nailed a little kid who darted out in front of me once there! He was a little African-American kid, and it was just a week maybe after the riots, as I was picking up my bent bike I did have fleeting thoughts of another riot starting lol. Little kids have this "darting out" instinct like squirrels, and this kid did it. I reacted by bailing off the bike over the handlebars, in effect my center of gravity went around him, like a high jumper's goes *around* the bar, he got the weight of the bike (a reletively light Peugeot Mixte) and fell down and got a little scratch on his chubby tummy, and his mom, a few yards away on the sand, called out to me "Are you all right?" and I replied with "Nevermind me, is HE all right?" because after all, he's a little kid, right? And he went crying to Mom, and after getting venomously spit at by a fellow WASP for leaving my bike lying on the trail, I went and picked up the bike, I ended up with the Blackburn rack a bit bent, and a bruised hip, no big deal.

That MUP has a fairly high accident and even fatality rate per miles traveled. I was having a nice sunny weekend ride but was probably overcooking it at maybe 8-10 MPH, and yeah you get the "ricky racers" on the weekends. Statistically, I'd have been safer going and playing on Harbor Boulevard.