Old 10-28-10, 01:20 PM
stapfam
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Hardtail MTB and there are plenty of good ones. Frames are all similar so choose the make and colour you like from one of the big names and that part is fine.

Disc brakes and Review the brakes fitted to the frame of your choice. There some good and some that you should not touch.

Wheels--MTB's are hard on wheels. Harder than a road or CX. My own personal choice but I do not like OM wheels- But I have a selection of Mavic rims with 36 spokes to an XT or Better hub. I do use the OM wheels but only for Winter use. Mud and muck will take the rims out on my V's within a full season so they do get used. But as I have not bought an MTB for several years- I only use handbuilts now.

Front suspension. Unless you are paying a good amount for a bike- then the OM Forks may not last that long. Not a bad thing as you will have researched the type of riding you do and the forks to go with it.

And baggies- Up to you. Only ever had one pair and they lasted till the end of the first ride. Got fed up with snagging them on the saddle- and paying out for the bandaid with the offs I had. None of my Off road mates use Baggies for this reason. We all have lycra- but be prepared for them to wear out quicker than on road. All that moving about on the saddle does make them go thin sooner than you think.

Every one will have their own personal recomendations but go with the brand you are happy with- or what the LBS stocks. But it is like all newbies to any form of cycling. You won't know what you want till get one and try it out. N+1 follows pretty quickly.

Edit-- Should have said that I am happy with V Brakes and the only downside is rim wear- but my Hubs and rims get knocked out pretty quickly. Disc wheels will last longer but they stil get damaged and need replacing. Groupset and the lowest I go is LX. That is acceptable but XT is better. (Like 105 and Ultegra) I have looked at the "NEW" 10 speed on MTB's and think if I were buying- I would still go 9 speed. Triple cranks- low gears and strength of chain are the reasons.

And Sizing. MTB's and standover can be very important--In fact Critical. Road bike fit would put you on an MTB frame that is too large. MTB's do have longer top tubes than road for a comparable size but you need to go smaller on MTB sizing. But even that will alter from manufacturer to manufacturer. I ride a 19" kona- 17" Trek-16" GT and the best fit is a 15" Bianchi.

Spike Milligan

Last edited by stapfam; 10-28-10 at 01:33 PM.