cyclinfool
gone ride'n

Bikes: Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Bare Feet
Hello BengeBoy, I don't know about winter riding, but you're encouraging me to think about it more! Could I really stay warm enough to enjoy, or will I freeze my butt off? What is the lowest temp. most cyclists ride in? Maybe I need to figure a low limit that's tolerable.
BF - for me, in upstate NY, It's not a matter so much of the temp as it is the road surface condition. If there is ice on the roads I won't risk it. TSL and others mount up studded tires, but he needs his bike to commute as he is car free. Me, I stop riding when it is no longer fun to ride and for me that's when I have to worry about ice. If the roads stay dry I'll usually make it into December, last year it was mid December - but the winter was mild. I am still riding at 6AM two mornings a week before work, we have had temps down to about 30 so far. I'll wear a fleece base layer under my tights & jersey, full gloves, shoe covers with expedition weight fleece socks and a balaclava. When the ice comes I'll go to spin classes and wait for spring.