Old 10-28-10, 08:55 PM
irclean
Born Again Pagan

Bikes: Schwinn hybrid, Raleigh MTB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
This may be presumptuous of me, but I assume that in WA you would have both Kona and Norco dealers at your disposal, seeing as how you're so close to BC, Canada. Running with that assumption may I suggest that single-speed, MTB-like commuters are readily available at hand in the form of the 2010 Kona Humu and the 2011 Norco Skull. Two unusual, yet cool steel-framed (almost BMX-like) bikes that should be a blast to ride, stand out from the crowd, and, best of all, are red! Kona went with aluminum (and black paint) for 2011 so a 2010 might be found for a steal. Conversely the Norco offering is brand new and may not be available yet.

Another off-the-wall offering that I find intriguing is the new Torker KB2; a "Kickback" 2-speed bike that has an undeniable coolness factor, even though it's not red. Of course, I'd be remiss if I didn't mention it's big brother, the Graduate, which, while not a single speed, for 2011 comes in red (or at least a red-ish color). I only mention it since I think it would make a great winter commuter. In any case I am curious to see what you end up buying/building. Good luck!