Old 10-29-10, 01:13 AM
DannoXYZ 

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by rekmeyata
But if any of you have ever seen the kind of lateral forces a track racer puts on wheels, it's huge, that's why they use high flange hubs because they believe their stronger, I would think that after years of track use they would, or should know. And your web site said very little about high and low flange hubs, their study focused on low.

And Danno, you quoted everything I said, except you didn't use all of my quote in your post. Reread my post.
I did read your post and agree with everything you said about stiffness and high-flange hubs. I have them on my track bike and along with wide box-section rims, they are definitely stiffer than low-flange hubs with aero rims. Those have their place as well as super-lightweight wheels which aren't super-stiff nor super-aero. Yes, I bring 6 wheels to the track and use the appropriate one for any particular race.

However, we may be talking something different than what the OP was asking about I think. He appears to be talking about "ultimate strength" which is a materials property that may not really apply to wheels. It may perhaps be quantified and measured several ways. He'll have to tell us which:
1. amount of vertical loading where the bottom spokes lose all tension?
2. amount of lateral loading where spokes on one side loses all tension?
3. amount of vertical or lateral impact force that causes a permanent run-out of X millimeters?
4. amount of vertical or lateral load where a wheel collapses?
He's very vague about what he means by "strength" and "load". I won't even go into stress and strain... yet...