View Single Post
Old 10-29-10, 10:56 AM
simo10

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Raleigh Sprite 27 fork

Hello everyone! I am new to this community and bikes in general, so bear with me...

I have acquired a 1984 Sprite 27 with drop down handle bars like this:

(this is not my bike btw just for reference)

I have ridden it a bit and have really enjoyed the ride and working on it. Unfortunately, my friend attempted to ride it with the front brakes loose (I forgot to let him know) causing them to get tangled in the spokes and damage the stem. I found a replacement stem but cannot get the original one out. (even the guys at the LBS said it would be extremely difficult). To make matters worse, I found out that that fork is quit bent.

So... I am looking for a new fork. It would be a shame to give up on it now, I tore it completely down prior to this mess happening and cleaned it up with new paint, new fasteners, bearings etc.

Now I ask you, where can I find a fork suitable for this bike? It doesn't need to be original, but of course I wouldn't mind keeping it that way

Lastly, as a college student it would be nice to find something not too expensive. I don't have calipers to measure the dimensions accurately but I'll do my best.
The interior diameter of the tube is 22.2mm, measures about 23cm tall, and I believe it's outside diameter is 25.4mm (same as the handle bar)

Any suggestions of were to find something like this would be great, even a used one that some has lying around. The finish isn't too important, I plan on painting it anyway.

TIA
simo10