Old 09-16-02, 05:12 PM
Maelstrom 
Wood Licker

Bikes: Trek Fuel EX 8 27.5 +, 2002 Transition Dirtbag, Kona Roast 2002

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
High protein diets aren't BAD. When I am a gym rat (winter time no real cardio) I switch my diet and go to a 30,30,30 diet. This works best for me during a highly anaerobic time for recovery. Carbs are my evil. They make me fat and screw around with my blood sugar.

High carb diets are only useful for highly aerobic people. Even then I only do a 20% fat, 30% protein and 50% carbs. I am a big believer in protein being extremely important for recovery and muscle growth. But this is my thing. I crave muscle mass and would never think to sacrifice my muscle for an aerobic activity.

Ngateguy - I do disagree with that statement. High protein diets have generally proven to produce longer lasting results than the typically standard diets. But either way it is a lifestyle change that makes a difference. If you have a 'well rounded' diet and stop dieting you will likely gain it all back. It isn't diet specific.

Now Tex? What do you mean by strict? Are you eating 50% pure protein. Are you ensuring you get enough high quality protein? What is strict. That statement could go either way.

But It sounds like you are
a - overtraining
b - not eating enough carbs (you are doing almost pure aerobic)

Slow down a bit, eat more carbs and get more potassium.