View Single Post
Old 10-30-10, 03:51 PM
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 158 Posts
Originally Posted by dmalvarado
Hey y'all, I usually spend most of my time in the Road forum but I've always wanted to do a tour. I recently bought a pair of sweet low-spoke-count wheels from Psimet (wheelbuilder in the Road forum) and they're pretty awesome. That got me wondering though, where do tourers go for their wheels? I assume they should be really strong rims (I'm unfamiliar with the different cross-sections and which is best) with high spoke count, but I was blown away by what a difference lightweight wheels make, and so I'd like to keep it light as well. Maybe I'm asking for too much, but do you have any suggestions?

I weight 142lbs and would probably tour totally unsupported.

Next month Psimet will be building a 32 spoke Velocity A23/Shimano hub wheelset for me. The wheelset will go on my cyclocross bike, I'm 210 lbs. The rim is 23 mm wide and will work well as an aero road rim with 23x700 tires or as a touring rim with wider tires. See http://www.velocityusa.com/default.asp?contentID=746

Considering your weight, you should have no problem with almost any well-made 32 spoke wheelset. I would talk with Psimet, the price was a bargain for a hand-built wheelset.

Last edited by Barrettscv; 10-30-10 at 03:54 PM.