View Single Post
Old 10-30-10, 08:52 PM
NoReg
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I think the thing about this thread is that it is just bringing out all the wheelbuilders. There are plenty of people who tour and don't build their own wheels. You need good wheels. The way I would go about it (I build my own also), is either go to a big name like Peter White, or find a local shop that builds durable wheels. From my experience, the best places are places that build for couriers, utilities, or tourists. Racers or MTB oriented shops have different orientations. Though the basics are the same, just so long as they don't bring the wrong perspectives to wheel component selections. Speaking of which:

There is little advantage to shaving a few spokes. First, it doesn't save overall weight if you have to pack on weight in the rims. But it also doesn't have the same value as a primary criterion. Weight always maters, it just doesn't come first on the list in touring. Basic facts are if at the end of the day you had to pedal an extra few minutes it doesn't mater, particularly if you are some hotshot racer. But if you reach the end of the day with a repair in hand, that's different. It also pays to buy stuff that is easy to fix, and doesn't require carrying more weight in tools than you might have to. Though wheels are pretty basic as far as that is concerned.

Phils are still the best, but sturdy shimano works, and White Ind hubs are really pretty, and economical compared to Phills where cassette hubs are concerned.