Thread: caused accident
View Single Post
Old 11-02-10, 10:52 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3195 Post(s)
Liked 1,727 Times in 1,045 Posts
Originally Posted by himespau
Also the person who hit the left turner has some culpability because you shouldn't be driving faster than you can control your vehicle (basic speed law in every state) and if the turner stopped in the lane it was her responsibility not to hit him if he had right of way.
That's exactly right. In fact, I'd go further to say fault fully lies with that driver (the one driving straight through the intersection).

Given the additional info from the OP at this point, it does seem like Doohickie called this scenario; hesitation over who was taking right of way set up the conditions for the accident. I'm not assigning blame here; certainly everyone wants to avoid being hit, and I wasn't there to see exactly what went on when or for how long, so I've got no business talking about that. And in any case, the oncoming car should have seen the intersection as a location of potential obstruction and slowed to a controllable speed in case the turning car was delayed--for whatever reason-- in clearing the intersection.

A series of bad calls here perhaps, but thankfully not a big deal at all.