View Single Post
Old 11-02-10, 02:42 PM
Tom Stormcrowe
Out fishing with Annie on his lap, a cigar in one hand and a ginger ale in the other, watching the sunset.

Bikes: Techna Wheelchair and a Sun EZ 3 Recumbent Trike

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 17 Posts
Originally Posted by jethro56
Now that I'm partially sucessful in achieving my fitness goals, I get strange thoughts after some people say " You really look good." At first I feel flattered. Then I think "Don't get a big head over this. You've still got a long way to go." Then I drift into "This comment is actually anti-motivational." Sometimes, I start wondering if throwing me off-track is subconsciously what they're trying to do. I don't like that feeling. As I think about it now, I'm realizing that I can't know why they said it. I'm projecting something inside me to turn this into something bad.

Another brain-fart I have is when people say "Don't you feel better now?" For some reason I don't like it. I tend to get flippant and say something like "Right now I feel tired as I just got done working out." Why do I do this? This comment is from from people that are asking me about how I feel or just someone who doesn't know what to say. Instead I cut off the conversation. Maybe I don't know how I feel.

Lately I've been thinking about starting a weight loss support group at the Y. When I've suggested this to the staff they respond with "You mean like getting a nutritionist in to talk about eating properly?" I respond with "No I mean talking about how to deal with the psychological issues." I get blank stares in return. The facts of eating properly are easily learned. Actually doing this is the hard part for us.

Enough for now.
jethro, part of it is you have issues dealing with compliments, because I'd bet beforehand, a compliment was a setup for the stinger. I know it was for me, and I'm always suspicious of the motivation, still. I have to actively stop and think through this cognitive behavior and remind myself that ultimately, even if it is a setup for the stinger, it's not relevant in my world. I know what my achievements are, and beyond that, it really doesn't matter.

"We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." - Immanuel Kant