Old 11-02-10, 10:14 PM
531phile 
I'm Carbon Curious

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Integrated Headsets = Planned Obsolescence

I just bought a bike with an integrated headset. I didn't know too much about this newfangled tech(for me) when I bought it and I am having buyers remorse since I hear that the crown race is built into the headset. So once the this part wears out, the frame is toast. This apparently is one of the reasons why Chris King doesn't make integrated headsets.

What is the best way to prevent wear to this unreplaceable part? I hear that keeping it free from water and grit. What is the best way to cover the headset so water doesn't enter the bearings without affecting the steering of the bike? Would replacing the bearings to ceramic ones help reduce the wear rate of the race surface?

How often should I regrease the bearings and/or change them? I suppose I it should be more frequent than traditional threadless headsets.

Am I worrying about nothing here?

It really does appear to be a good case of planned obsolescence on part of the cycling industry. Once the integrated headset race wears out, the consumer got no option but to buy a new frame/bike.