View Single Post
Old 11-03-10, 07:49 AM
xizangstan

Location: Colorado-California-Florida-(hopefully soon): Panama

Bikes: Vintage GT Xizang (titanium mountain bike)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by briwasson
I've seen some good deals on wheels on Ebay from Rocky Mountain Cyclery. They seem to always be having sales. I've been eyeing up a set of Mavic Open Sport rims, 36 spokes, Ultegra hubs for in the low $200s. Seems like a decent deal. Not a touring wheelset exactly, but with 36 spokes they should be plenty strong, and the Open Sport rims are heavier-duty than the Open Pros.

If you are using the wheels on your current bike you'll need 130mm spaced hubs, unless you want to coldset or manually spread your rear triangle to fit MTB-spec hubs like XT, LX, etc.
I have been to Rocky Mountain Cyclery a couple of times, IN PERSON. I was ripped off badly! It's a little shop on a corner in an old residential section of a small town. Not what one would expect. I take it that someone who is quite good with computers built them a great website. I know I would never go back. In fact, since them, I have been to several other shops in northern Colorado - especially in Ft. Collins, Colorado. And I had a custom titanium rear rack built by Black Sheep Bicycles out of Ft. Collins. Very nice.

As for wheels, I'm still shopping. But if you prefer to shop online, I really like the prices and service at JensonUSA.com. (I'm not an investor nor am I associated with them. I just like being treated well)