View Single Post
Old 11-03-10, 08:45 AM
Altair 4

Bikes: 2011 Novara Forza Hybrid, 2005 Trek 820, 1989 Cannondale SR500 Black Lightning, 1975 Mundo Cycles Caloi Racer

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 258 Post(s)
Liked 291 Times in 157 Posts
Hello from Pittsburgh

Well, I recently bought a bicycle for my 9 year old and decided that it looked like a lot of fun and bought a new bike for myself. Being a bit creaky in the neck and spine, I opted for a more comfortable hybrid type bike (a Novara Corsa from REI) than the road bike I had a few decades ago.

To my surprise, I'm enjoying cycling more than my kid. I have taken several 15 mile rides around the city of Pittsburgh, taking advantage of the trails along the rivers. It's been a lot of fun and releases my stress in a constructive way.

We recently had a guy in our extended family suffer a stroke. I thought about his life habits and mine and decided that riding wouldn't be a bad thing to add to my lifestyle. So far, so good.

My goals:
1) Improve my stamina.
2) Ride the Great Allegheny Passage with a friend in the spring of 2011.
3) Get my wife on a bike, too.

Thanks for reading. Thanks for having such a great forum.

Altair 4
(the name comes from my love of astronomy and of SF literature and movies. Altair is a star in the constellation of Aquila. Altair 4 features prominently in Steven King's "The Tommyknockers"and the old SF movie "The Forbidden Planet.")

Last edited by Altair 4; 11-03-10 at 10:31 AM. Reason: Spelling!