Old 11-05-10, 03:55 PM
nashcommguy
nashcommguy

Bikes: Commuters: Fuji Delray road, Fuji Discovery mtb...Touring: Softride Traveler...Road: C-dale SR300

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mushman
Thanks for the tip re: liners and tires.

I'm actually most interested in a nice ride and great stability and then good flat protection. I haven't had a flat (But will some day). So a comfortable and stable tire with the liners might be a good way to go. I'm used to the stability of a mtn bike so this thin tire and wheel is a bit hard for me to get comfortable with.

Thanks!
The Schwalbe Marathon Plus 28 or 32mm will give you much added protection re flatting. I've gotten many miles of flat free existance in the 2+ years I've been using them. Be forewarned, however they are really difficult to mount on high flange rims. A Kool Stop tire mounting tool is virtually indespensible. That or have your lbs do it. They're available at a variety online stores including www.biketiresdirect.com. I carry Pyramid metal tire levers(www.bikepartsusa.com) and undersized tubes even though I don't even think about getting flats anymore. Btw, the ride is smooth and predictable. Unless there's a revolutionary bike tire that comes on the market I'm a lifer.

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention. Using liners like Mr. Tuffys w/high psi road/touring/commuting tires can cut into the tubes. The SMPs eliminate the need for liners. They're pricey, but worth it in the long run when one adds up the cost of flat aggravation from cheap tires. Someone on another thread claims 20,000 miles on one set.