Old 11-06-10, 10:42 AM
Citoyen du Monde

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by Wotan
YYYEEESSS!!!! Would love to see some more pics.

Do the decal crests have "Firenze" instead of "Milano"?
Is this the headbadge?

What serial number? Is it a random 4 digit one like they normally did?

I'd also be interested to know what bars and saddle and seatpost it has? And what that metal band around the seatpost is. It looks to have a seat clamp style similar to modern bikes (I also have this on an Italian bike from 1948-ish) but there appears to be a band above that.

If that were my size it could be a holy grail bike. Alas it's a little short for me.
The three existing Giotto Cinelli bikes that are known to me all were lacking the original decals. I therefore spent quite a bit of time speaking to three old-timers from Florence about the design of the decals (over one hundred phone calls and an equal number of intermediate decals). All three were Cinelli shop hangers-on back in the day. Two of them also owned Giotto Cinelli bikes back in the day. One of my consultants has since passed away (I found that out when I wanted to send him a photo of my restored bike) I am not sure that the decal design is correct, but if not right on, it is as close as one is likely to be able to achieve without having an original at disposal.

The headbadge is precisely the one you show. The original cranks are marked G. Cinelli, as was the seatpost clamp which is indeed a modern style. The band that appears above teh seatpost clamp is a typical religious artifact that was commonly seen on bikes in the 40's (including on some of Bartali's bikes). The one on my bike is in fact "wrong" as it is from the Madonna del Ghisallo which would not be period correct for teh 40's, nor is the fact that it is fitted with a philips head screw...) The headset appears to be a Magistroni headset with Cinelli marked on it. The stem is marked Cinelli Firenze and tube that is parallel to the ground stands proud of the handlbar clamp
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_1273..jpg (62.2 KB, 181 views)