Old 11-06-10, 06:50 PM
Wotan
#$*&

Bikes: Bates (of Coburg) track bike(60s/70s?), Malvern Star Ladies coronation (1953), SuperElliots pathracer (60s?), Repco pathracer (1964), Holland Ladies (50s?), Moa (50s?), Hillman Ladies (40s?), Batavia? (40s?), Malvern Star 2 star ladies (50s?)...etc.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Citoyen du Monde
The three existing Giotto Cinelli bikes that are known to me all were lacking the original decals. I therefore spent quite a bit of time speaking to three old-timers from Florence about the design of the decals (over one hundred phone calls and an equal number of intermediate decals). All three were Cinelli shop hangers-on back in the day. Two of them also owned Giotto Cinelli bikes back in the day. One of my consultants has since passed away (I found that out when I wanted to send him a photo of my restored bike) I am not sure that the decal design is correct, but if not right on, it is as close as one is likely to be able to achieve without having an original at disposal.

The headbadge is precisely the one you show. The original cranks are marked G. Cinelli, as was the seatpost clamp which is indeed a modern style. The band that appears above teh seatpost clamp is a typical religious artifact that was commonly seen on bikes in the 40's (including on some of Bartali's bikes). The one on my bike is in fact "wrong" as it is from the Madonna del Ghisallo which would not be period correct for teh 40's, nor is the fact that it is fitted with a philips head screw...) The headset appears to be a Magistroni headset with Cinelli marked on it. The stem is marked Cinelli Firenze and tube that is parallel to the ground stands proud of the handlbar clamp
Fantastic. Gotta admit, I'm pretty jealous! If I wasn't taking receipt of my ten year younger Cinelli SC in a week or two I would be totally green!

Did your frame have full chrome underneath the paint? I assume that's a repaint, did you go for the same (or similar) color to the original?

Also, very interested to know what bars you have. My 1948 Italian cambio corsa-equipped bike is currently wearing non period-correct Cinelli alloy bars and I'm unsure if Cinelli steel bars just squeeze into that time frame or whether I should be seeking out some Ambrosios or something else (did Fiamme do bars that early?). Any help would be appreciated.