View Single Post
Old 11-07-10, 08:27 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,409 Times in 909 Posts
There are excellent frame builders out there, and at least four here in NC. Custom steel frames are nice.

If they are good values for the money now, and of excellent quality, they'll have staying power.
However, if they're priced at double what the competition is, they'll lose value to a lower plateau and stay there, like any other bike.
If only the well-heeled are able to buy them, I don't see them becoming the next RB-1. They'll be just another excellent expensive steel bike.

Some Bridgestones hold or increase in value, but it's not because they're better; it's because the people that want them are willing to pay more. There are many models of bikes that are as good as the RB-1, and cost half. People that want those are not willing to pay more, that's all.

The RB-1 has a market hook named Grant Petersen. That can often override other factors in the buying decision.

Whether there will be another good steel/aluminum/carbon/Ti bike with above-average components that has some kind of market hook, I sure don't know. I don't see anything like that out there, with some personality connection or perceived excellence regardless of the facts. The Livestrong Madones sold out here within a couple of weeks; and again, you have a market hook not associated wtih the bike's ability to compete against other models. I'm not saying it can't, the hook isn't just the bike, it's the other stuff, too.

I can buy a 2x10 Reynolds 853 bike with Ultegra for $1300, sell the frame and hang that stuff on a Team Miyata for less than $100 more. Not sure I'd fork out close to that for a 2x7 RB-1.

But, if I was looking for an RB-1, appreciated the history and was a Grant Peterson fan, sure I would.
(And I'm a Grant Petersen fan, just not enough to sell 3 Ironman bikes to get the 'stone.)

Last edited by RobbieTunes; 11-08-10 at 11:17 AM.