View Single Post
Old 11-07-10, 09:08 PM
Chicago Al 

Bikes: 1974 Motobecane Grand Record, 1987 Miyata Pro, 1988 Bob Jackson Lady Mixte (wife's), others in the family

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked 155 Times in 79 Posts
According to a post in the old bikelist archives, Alan Goldsmith also had a deal with Centurion whereby some Centurion models were branded as Niko and sold through Bikecology, presumably at a lower price point. There is a Bikecology catalog c. 1978 on the Bulgier.net site and another from 1980 here if anyone wants to do comparisons.

We had a late 70s Niko mixte that was the spitting image of a Centurion LeMans of the same time, even down to the same typeface in the logo.

BTW: While I was at a workshop this afternoon, some schmoe out in Chicago's western burbs put up a 'Centurion bike' for sale on CL for $50. It was an Ironman Expert, and long gone before I emailed about it. Not my size so...I hope someone from this gang got it!

Edit to add: Here's that little Niko 'Mystere' mixte. It wasn't that special a bike but my daughter loved it--should have given it more than a cable lock.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Niko2.jpg (93.9 KB, 54 views)
Niko1.jpg (103.8 KB, 55 views)
Niko3.jpg (91.9 KB, 55 views)

- Dr Samuel Johnson

Last edited by Chicago Al; 11-09-10 at 10:36 AM.