Old 05-18-05, 02:15 PM
jnoble123

Bikes: Surly Cross Check, Trek 520, Giant VT1, Norco Scrambler, Norco Unicycle, Dirtsurfer

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
(snip)

But honestly I am a bit frustrated with the gearing, I ride only flats, but lately often with good winds. Somedays I with a tailwind find myself wanting a higher gear pedaling at 130rpm, going 30mph (where I used to go 35mph on my geared bike) - but more frequent is the 28mph range where I am at 125rpm, but wanting to go faster. But I find my starts from green lights in traffic a bit sluggish, not as quick across the intersections as I like, so a higher gear is not an option yet.

(end snip)

Have you tried any lower gearing yet? A low gear seems to make those downhills incredibly exciting (or so I found it on my first, second and third downhills with a 53 gear inch setup).

(snip)

Of course this is why a fixed bike is so great, it forces you to both strengthen legs and develop higher cadence. Even after these few weeks I am stronger. But I do often want two gears, one for strong headwinds and fast starts, one for top speed.

(end snip)

I've been noticing a real improvement in leg strength and endurance. It will be interesting to ride a geared touring bike soon for a comparison especially as I increase my gearing while riding!

(snip)

I rode the many geared bike today on a whim, and didn't notice any transition issues, ride basically felt the same.

But all this said, I am compelled to ride the fixed, I want to, I regret not riding it today, wish I could for the ride home.

(end snip)

I've been meaning to ride my touring bike during a commute this week to do some comparisions but I really don't want to (and I have a positive history with that bike too!)

Same with my offroad bike. I like the route but I miss the feel of the ride!

~Jamie