Homebrew01
Super Moderator

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1174 Post(s)
Liked 935 Times in 618 Posts
Originally Posted by smlxl
I was shifting from a middle-ish cog. On the trainer now (warmed up from NYC cold) it does shift properly from the two largest cogs, not from any of the others. It's brand new, so there shouldn't be any dirt/grime clogging the cable guides.

Tried this too. The cable is reasonably slack once it tries to switch to the smaller chainring and I can't feel anything give when I pull on it a bit. Once the problem happens, I can't move the front cage at all by pushing on it.

I really appreciate all of the ideas and input (ah, so much to learn). I'll try to get them to inspect & replace the cable too.
On a new bike, it's more likely to be a rough cable-end, or a crimp causing the problem.

When you shift to the small ring, and shift into the biggest cog, how close is the chain to the left side of the front derail cage ?

Did the LBS guys take it for a test ride to experience the problem ? Or was it a 2 minute workstand check ?

FYI: http://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html