Old 11-09-10, 06:18 AM
GriddleCakes
Tawp Dawg

Bikes: '06 Surly Pugsley, '14 Surly Straggler, '88 Kuwahara Xtracycle, '10 Motobecane Outcast 29er, '?? Surly Cross Check (wife's), '00 Trek 4500 (wife's), '12 Windsor Oxford 3-speed (dogs')

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rekmeyata
Your right!...But neither are your claims that using headlights on a bicycle has any evidence.
As has already been pointed out, daytime headlights on motorcycles decreases motorcycle collisions. On the most dangerous local highway (the Seward Highway), daytime headlights are mandatory, as they have been shown to increase detection time of oncoming traffic. Modern LED bicycle headlights are capable of putting out as much light as a car or motorcycle headlight. I run a two watt Planet Bike Superflash on flash mode whenever I'm on the road, night or day. It's bright (lights up signs up to four blocks away, even in the middle of the day) and obnoxious, and motorists visibly respond by backing up and not cutting me off.

Many cyclists have had positive experiences with flashing headlights during the day. I've personally had several motorists stop and ask me what kind of headlight I was running, because it was so noticeable. If you really doubt the ability of a blinking headlight to alert motorist to your presence, why not give it a try? Buy a decently bright headlight with a flash mode, and ride around your city. If it doesn't work for you, then ditch it.

Where no study has been done, and no statistical evidence is available, all we have to go on is anecdotes. Anecdotal evidence seems to suggest that cyclists who run a blinking headlight notice an increase in motorist awareness of their presence. Unfortunately, anecdotal evidence can be far from true. So the best bet is to just try it for your self and see.