Old 11-09-10, 06:30 PM
Lightingguy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Papa Tom
Nice job, Lighting Guy!

The way you describe the Old Croton Aqueduct, it sounds like a completely different trail than the one I rode years ago and added to my website. Perhaps I need to get out there again in the spring and see what's changed!
Well not really, and you've a good description that adds stuff I wouldn't think about, such as the Dobbs Ferry hill with it's "steps".

Which brings up some points about the OCA.

1) It's a non-maintained "trail" that exists only because the aqueduct exists - I.E. it's a well worn path on top of the tunnel, which follows the contours of the terrain as it makes it's way south from Croton to NYC. As such and being a State Park, it gets zero maintenance. Thus you may encounter glass in Yonkers as well as the occasional debris dumped on the trail. As well it's a track, and has been used for 150 years now. The passage of time has added parking lots (such as Tom's description of the lot in Irvington) as well as local roads placed on top of the tunnel, so following the OCA means having a map as well as understanding the construction following the contour, plus understanding that there are going to be gaps. Which is why a road bike/hybrid is a good choice, as there will be road detours.

2) It's not a bike trail or path, though bikes are allowed. The overwhelming number of users are folks out for a stroll, so Sunday at noon might be busy and require a lot of patience for a cyclist. We saw zero cyclists on this ride, on a nice Sunday. It's certainly not a fast ride, nor should it be. It's as historical and as interesting a trail as you will find in the NYC area. Ton's of interesting side detours along the way, if so desired.

3) It's ridable on most any bike as there are no real technical obstacles, though a carbon road bike with 23mm tires at 120psi would be a poor choice. Tourers, Cross, Hybrids are good choices, with wide tires, if you plan to use roads as well, though a full suspension mt. bike would really be fun. I knew of a group that would night ride out of mid-town Manhattan on mt/mbikes, on roads all the way to Yonkers, catch the OCA, turn on the lights and hammer to Tarrytown, to catch MetroNorth back to the city.

4) To loop it with the North and South County Trails is a lot of fun. Do a Google for Ken Roberts Cycling, which will call up some of Kens Hudson River adventures, including some loops he's done similar to mine.

5) This was a different kind of ride for me as it was a good bit of exploration and I think exploring on a bike and getting lost in the process, is about as much fun as I have cycling. Excepting that hill on Roberts Ave. In Yonkers !.

SB