View Single Post
Old 11-10-10, 02:46 PM
NoReg
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Standover is not all that critical. I have to pay attention to it because I have short legs compared to my torso, so a proper fitting frame overall could be too high for me. But even where that is the case it's nothing like the problem of a frame that doesn't fit for comfort.

For the most part you want a frame similar to what you already are riding. Unless the racer commuter you have is uncomfortable, it should be a good basis for your touring bike. Racers can be more upright (tubing angles not the position), The seat bottom bracket positioning can be very similar which will have the effect that once the seat position is recreated on a slacker angled touring frame, you will have a shorter length effective top tube, though only by a sight degree, but it could be 1cm.

I don't think a touring bike needs to be all that more upright in position, than a racer. It depends on the racer though. But a fairly classical road racing bike, the difference in position will come down to the ability of the rider (beyond the 1-2 degree difference in angles which has no more than 1cm effect on position). If you put Lance on a touring bike in a headwind, should he have higher handle bars with all the spacers? But if you are pressing down on a big gut you may want a more upright position just to meet the prime directive of comfort. Of course there are bikes these days that really belong on closed courses only, the positions are pretty extreme, but the classical touring and racing bikes have different frames but the positions are not extremely different. You want a similar seat to bb relationship, which may be the same, and then you have to accommodate personal comfort in the reach.

At my age of 50 my body still adapts to exercise. So if the bike was designed for long trips where I might settle in, I would possibly have more challenging geometry than if it was riding it for overnighters only, with little chance of settling in over time.