View Single Post
Old 11-11-10, 05:51 PM
Eileen

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Retrovelo Paula

I've already read as much as I could find. I've scared up some money. I really want this bicycle.

My favorite bicycle to ride is still my Trek 4300. Fat tires were what made me love bicycles again, after the disastrous 10 speed of my youth. I tried a Trek Belleville. I just don't like the 700c wheels. I have a late 70s Raleigh Sport that I do like, but it is still in project form. Same for my 83 Raleigh mixte frame. I tried an Electra Townie. It was a nice bike to ride but the coaster brake was a real deal breaker for me. And the bicycle itself was sort of cheap feeling.

I'm not necessarily trying to jump on the "Dutch" bandwagon. But I do want: big tires -- Fat Franks, specifically. A loop frame. IGH 7 or 8 speed for my eventual return to Seattle. Lugs just because I like them. I don't need to carry any children, but I do shop and run errands and meet friends and commute (an entire mile).

I looked at Velorbis, Pashley, Gazelle, Breezer and Workcycles. By "looked at" I mean online. I just don't live anywhere near any dealers.

It's a spendy bicycle, but I can afford it. I very rarely drive and have a paid for car and in-house mechanic. And it should last me a very long time.

Anyone with experience with these bicycles? Any major drawbacks? I've found nothing but praise so far.