Old 11-12-10, 08:37 AM
thdave

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My Wooly Tale: Wool Sweater vs. Windbreaker

I'm not sure what convinced me to try a new way--it could have been the clammy feel of the coat or its bulk or the die hard woolies on this website--but I gave the wool sweater a good run for the money this fall. No, I'm not trying to run for Mayor of Bike Forums --I just wanted to see what would work and it's limitations.

I was very skeptical, given the basic problems with a sweater when compared to a coat. My Helly Hansen windbreaker has velcro straps and the sleeves, a vent in the back, bungie type adjustments at the waist and bottom, and adjustments at the neck, which can be done while riding, and I really like this coat. The wool sweater has none of these--just some ribbing at the ends of the sleeves and the waist. It's not long, either, so it could come up on my back as I bend over to assume my riding position. Plus, it seems that the wind would just come on through.

So, I shopped a bit, to expand my wool collection, and bought three wool sweaters at Goodwill (it seemed silly to buy new when I just wanted funtionality). Two are merino, which are the best (not only softer, but it seems to block the wind better than the other). I had one wool sweater before, plus two cashmere sweaters, only one of which I'd wear bicycling (the other one is too nice).

I wore the wool early in the fall and immediately liked it. I tried it when it got colder--I just added a tee shirt (over or under, depending on its and the sweater's fit), and still liked it. I don't sweat nearly as much as I do with the windbreaker. Plus, it seems to work over a pretty good temperature range.

So, I bought a pair of wool gloves to go with it. My plan was to try it on a chilly rainy day and see how I did, as I know it still retains warmth when wet. I've come in to work 2 or 3 times in a slight rain wearing this, and I like it. It's easier than using the rain cape and works much better than my "water resistent" windbreaker. I just wish I owned some wool pants (besides those that go with a suit).

This past week, given the impressive warmth I've felt, I tried it again. This was stretching it, as it's been in the low to mid 30's when I leave for work. Clearly, this is beyond the capabilities of a sweater!

Yep, it is. My neck got too cold and my trunk, while not freezing, felt the drafts. Yeah, I could have worn a think bacalava and might have made this work, but today, I put my windbreaker back on, with two tees under it, and I was just right. But, I'm wearing wool socks, as I only have sandals to clip in with this bike, which I ride on sunny days. Plus, I found some wool and thinsulate fingertip gloves, with a mitten top that comes over the tips, and love them.

In the future, I plan to use the wool down to approximately 40 deg. F.