Old 11-14-10, 09:46 PM
eddubal
Mud, Gore & Guts

Bikes: 2012 Van Dessel Gin & Trombones; 2011 Masi Speciale SSCX; '87 Peugeot Cannonball Express

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by SBRDude
If she was going to drive the car, instead of setting her loose for a couple days and worrying about her getting lost, why not stay closer together and agree to meet at predetermined points during the day, like for lunch? That way, she would feel included in your trip, you would be helping her learn how to navigate, and she would get to see new places in America. She might be suffering from a lack of confidence and isolation by being far from home, and doing this together might help her a lot, and it might help your relationship. Remember, if you're having a crisis of sorts with American culture and your current role in it, there's a good chance that she is as well in some shape or form that is hard for her to describe.
I agree. Also you can train her to navigate. Start at home about learning to read maps, google etc. Go for some shorter, one-day road trips together with her doing all the navigating. Drive wherever she tells you. If you get lost, help her find your way back to the route. Once she can navigate decently on the short trips, take a multiday road trip. By the end of that trip, she should be able to navigate pretty well. It will give her the confidence she needs and will give you the support that you'll need and improve your relationship to boot. Be patient and bite your tongue if necessary. Don't expect it to happen overnight, but by the time everything is hashed out for the trip, she should be ready.

BTW I'm also starting to look for a tandem rental place in the area. If I find one, I'll let you know.

If anyone else knows of one in the NYC area pleas post.