Old 11-15-10, 02:15 AM
stronglight
Old Skeptic

Bikes: 19 road bikes & 1 Track bike

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Any stampings beneath the bottom bracket shell?

If the seat tube diameter is noticeably larger than 28.0 mm. we can rule out ALL French bikes.

Campagnolo #1010 dropouts were really very rarely found on any older French bikes until the 1970s. Of course, we really don't know the true age of the frameset. Those nice top-end early Campagnolo components could have been take-off spares which a previous owner had saved from an earlier bike.

The coarse filing suggests that this bike was originally enameled and then later chrome plated.

I would REALLY love to see a clearer photo of that Stronglight crankset... Appears to be a model 49D with the style of chainrings used during the late 1950s to early 60s - chainrings are similar to the web pattern of the model 57 cranks.

It was not at all unusual to see Stronglight headsets fitted any nationality of bike... but did anyone notice that a spare "upper" headset cup had been mounted on the bottom of the head tube...

Is that the remnants of a braze-on pump peg I see beneath the rear of the top tube? I've seen some which were simple "pins" and others which had a "U" shape opening. The latter was used for holding a more fancy pump head - like you'd find used on better racing bikes. Presence of these pins really did not indicate lower quality bikes.

The "tire savers" are pretty neat. They look like old Pelissier models which incorporated a sort of spring mechanism at their center to keep the sweeper gently skimming the surface of a tire.