Old 11-16-10, 02:34 PM
canopus 

Bikes: Road, Touring, BMX, Cruisers...

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked 173 Times in 111 Posts
Originally Posted by slowandsteady
I assume it matters to the parents of this dead child that they now have to go through another round of litigation regardless of whether they "win" or not. Suing your victim's surviving family is a total ******* move. It is evil and cruel. It is obviously just one more way this guy is trying to get around the fact that he and only he is responsible for his own actions.
The parents brought a civil suit against the defendant (the guy in jail), his countersuit was a part of his response to their lawsuit. They chose to file suit first and should expect a defense against it and should be prepared mentally to go through it all over again, if they weren't they should have left it alone.

The thing about all this is you never heard about civil suits after a criminal conviction before the O.J trial. I'm sure there were a few but not like now. The cruel thing is filing a civil suit after a person is convicted in a criminal suit. To me that's kind of like double jeopardy only with monetary losses because that's all you can get from a civil suit. If there is to be any monetary award it should be included in the sentencing phase of a criminal suit IMHO, not separated out in a civil matter.
1984 Trek 760
1981 Trek 710
Pics