Old 11-18-10, 08:15 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Originally Posted by sstorkel
- Both brands shift well. Lots of people are freaked out by the idea of DoubleTap, but in practice it's really very similar to Shimano. You make the exact same movements to shift (big push = bigger ring, small push = smaller ring), you just do it with one lever for SRAM versus two for Shimano. I swap back and forth between SRAM and Shimano regularly and have never missed a shift
I test drove a Scott with Double Tap a few times. I just didn't like it ... the motions are similar, but different enough to feel unnatural after using Tiagra brifters for a couple years. I didn't really understand how the DT worked, and didn't like it at all on the first ride; after I figured things out, I think it's something a person would get used to quickly enough.

Personally, I think what's most important for shifters on a road bike is ergonomics and comfort. Get whichever feel best in your hands. I think smoothness of shifting has as much to do with the derailleur as the shifters. A sora setup can shift very well if it's adjusted properly and has good cabling, whereas a dura-ace system can shift poorly. But the sora ones are hard to reach from the drops, and have an ergonomic setup most people don't like as much.

If I were the OP's friend, I'd try and answer the question with a couple of test rides.