View Single Post
Old 11-19-10, 08:38 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by billydonn
I would be interested also. Will be occupied riding in Montana June 19-28, so either before or after that would be great. IMO it is not really necessary to piggyback on another ride. In addition to a date, an official motel would also be needed.
I did the Second Annual Ride in Watkins Glen and had a great time. I have had some thoughts, and PM’s with other attendees, on occasion about the 3rd Annual since the last flurry of discussions in September. I had planned to post them later in March as suggested by Beverly, when plans will be forthcoming for organized summer rides.

There had been some discussion about the Third Annual Ride in a companion thread, “A priori - purpose (if any) of 50+ ‘annual ride’ ”:

http://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...nual-ride-quot

which incidentally also re-surfaced just yesterday. In particular DnvrFox summarized:

Originally Posted by DnvrFox
Why don't we try choosing 4 specific locations and events this year, at different times, located in diverse geographic areas, and see what happens? I really don't think there is much of a downside.

We have had a number of folks already volunteer, from several corners of the US of A. We could even have a get-together in Europe/England. Stapfam - just how big is that garden of yours?

It seems to me a number of decisions have already been made.

1. We are not going to try to have one "big" event.

2. We are going to try to tie in with already organized/organizing rides - those with lots of options for folks - i.e., 25, 33, 45, 60, 100 mile rides - to suit all tastes.

3. Each geographic area will have a volunteer/coordinator

4. The purpose(s) of the events are NOT to have a long ride, but, instead, are to have a social/meeting time where we get to meet and interact with interesting 50+ folks we have met - but don't really know - on the internet through this forum.

5. We should likely have different times - perhaps starting in April or thereabouts, continuing through the summer/fall.

So, we need to document who will sponsor what, when and where. Can someone do this?
I had two trains of thought. First, maybe a 3rd Annual Ride could be done independently as described by billydonn above, with minimal involvement and encumbrances by a “host,” as just a source of information; in a sense of a “show and go” ride (weekend). On the Second Annual ride, tsl did a great job, and seemed to enjoy it. I myself enjoy advising and guiding people around Boston, but besides being off in one non-central corner of the country, it is an expensive locale to visit in the summer. Ohio was suggested as a possible site for the East Coast and Midwest crowd.

My other thought would be to just rendezvous again at Watkins Glen for the Southern Tier Club’s Annual Great Finger Lakes Tour. We now have a contingent of about eight Fifty-Plus’ers who know the ropes and can vouch for the Ride. I think there is agreement that it fulfilled all of DnverFox’s “Postulates.”

FWIW. This is not a commitment, but I am favorably inclined to consider any format.

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 11-19-10 at 08:49 AM.