View Single Post
Old 11-21-10, 01:28 PM
chewybrian 
"Florida Man"

Bikes: '16 Bob Jackson rando, '66 Raleigh Superbe, 80 Nishiki Maxima, 07 Gary Fisher Utopia, 09 Surly LHT

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1571 Post(s)
Liked 1,707 Times in 856 Posts
Getting a bike to Europe--What the...???

I've searched the net and the forums, and I'm more confused than ever. What should be expected when trying to get a bike over to France and back, on a flight, or shipping separately? (I want to go to PBP next year)

I've read horror stories and estimates all over the place, from no charge to a thousand on flights. Some tell of a surprise charge of hundreds at the counter before take-off. I assume some on this forum have made similar trips, and I apologize if you've discussed it.

Does it make sense to get S + S couplings? (I am planning to get a new frame soon, and the couplers have some appeal outside the PBP trip, though I would not be getting them if not for this trip).

How large a frame will fit in the S + S box? I need about 64 or 65 cm, and I've read conflicting info on this as well. S + S's site only says it's rare that a bike won't fit. Another site says larger than 62cm likely won't fit. If the bike has the couplers, and fits in the box, does it go free, or low cost on the flight?

Finally, isn't there any other way to ship a regular or break-apart bike for any reasonable sum, if not on the flight? I got a couple quotes of about $850 r/t. Yet, I can order a new frame from Bob Jackson in England, and they'll ship it to me for $150 one way.

Thanks in advance if anyone can get me pointed the right way to lock in a fair deal.