View Single Post
Old 11-22-10, 07:48 AM
john423
Rain, rain go away

Bikes: 2009 Schwinn Sierra GS; 2010 Specialized Allez Elite Compact; 2009 Jamis Coda Comp

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just found that in my typical riding position, where I settle in the easiest, there's still a little bit of seat behind me. I wanted to bring the seat up so when I'm in natural riding position, I've got the seat firmly under me to keep from having taint problems. Seat comfort seems to have gotten easier with each move, and the moves have been really small each time (mantra of me doing anything to any bike - move slowly, in small steps).

So what's the name of the part pictured above? It'd be good to know for when I go talk to the bike repair guy about getting the handlebars closer to me. I think the big problem is I'm a tall guy with not much reach, so I'm having a hard time not locking my elbows at the handlebars.

Maybe I should be bent over a LOT more than I am, but it just feels unnatural to me. I should be able to bend, what, about 10 or 15 degrees (pardon me, engineers) and have it taken care of. I shouldn't have to really arch my back. This is where I need to do some riding with experienced riders, but I haven't been up to keeping up with the local road club yet. If the weather's good enough for them to go on another group ride this weekend, I may try it.

On a semi-related tangent, I've been seriously thinking about how much my area needs a bicycle RIDING club. There's a group dedicated to road racing/cyclocross and there's a group dedicated to mountain biking, but it'd be nice to have a group that meets just to go on rides together and not worry about pace or what kind of bike each other has, where everyone would feel welcome no matter age/experience level and it would be OK if you didn't have a jersey or spandex shorts, it would be OK if you wore whatever the heck you wanted. Kind of a catch-all club. I don't know if bigger cities have those or not.