View Single Post
Old 05-20-05, 03:04 PM
eff-J
Man About Town

Bikes: '04 Dahon Speed P8; '01(?) Specialized Crossroads A1 Sport; '83 Peugeot P6 frankensteined refurb

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Why did you all decide that a folder was for you?

One of my hobbies is flying. I rent these little, single-engine planes, and fly them to airports that, quite often, aren't really near much of anything. So I wanted a bike I could fit in the plane, then ride into town wherever I landed.

What choice/choices did you make and why'd you buy what you bought?

Dahon Speed P8. I wanted a compact, quick fold that didn't require that I remove anything. Also, I wanted a good price, and I think Dahon has the best "bang for your buck."

What do you use it for?

In addition to flying with it, I ride it to work quite a bit. It's also handy for taking my car into the shop, and picking it up later. No need to arrange a ride! It's also good for geocaching--take the car to the general vicinity, then ride the bike to get closer to the cache if necessary.

Why'd you choose the wheelsize you chose?

The need for a compact fold meant 20" or less. I'm 6'3", and Dahon's 16" bikes are a bit too small for me. So that left the 20-inchers. The supposed smoother ride is a nice bonus.

Do you wish you'd bought a more expensive one, or a less expensive one?

Nope. I feel like I lucked out and hit the right balance between "expensive enough to have decent components" and "cheap enough to not have to fuss and worry over the thing too much."

Do you let anyone else ride your folding bike/bikes? Would you?

I haven't, but I would. See above.

Do you have a 'regular' size bike too?

Yeah. A full-sized Specialized hybrid. But I haven't ridden it since I got the Dahon, so I'm selling it.

Are you happy with the utility of your new toy, car replacement, cruiser, or whatever you call it?

Very.

Did you find the thing life changing?

Everything changes your life to some degree. In this case, it's a very, very small degree, but a change nonetheless!