View Single Post
Old 11-22-10, 04:10 PM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by Road Fan
I don't think Ann Arbor asks riders to become club members. Why was that necessary for the GFLBT?
TSL provided the infomation to register for the Ride, and that was the provision. I think the fee was about $3.00. I myself registered on site.

I don't want to sound paranoid about liability, but I wouldn't want someone to accidentally assume such unwittingly. There was a recent thread this August on the Fifty Plus Forum that discussed the issue in: "Has Anyone Ever Organized a New Biking Group?"

http://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...ight=liability

Originally Posted by Shifty
What I was thinking...was that if people wanted to gather here and ride together it would be the same as getting together anywhere, everyone take responsibility for themselves. I can suggest some fantastic rides, but I'm not responsible for your health, safety or skill on the bike, that would be ridiculous. What I would help out with is suggesting rides that are common to riders in the area, poll the group to see what the comfort level is and provide directions, maps etc.

If there is any question of my personal liability, then count me out, I wouldn't want to ride with a group like that.
A cynical talk show host here in Boston has a catch phrase, "No good deed goes unpunished."

I would tell you that I would never sue anyone who graciously invited me on an informal ride, say via Bike Forums. And to further quote Howie Carr, "You can trust me; I'm not like the others."

Personally, I know all kinds of routes around Ann Arbor, and I would be glad to make it a three day weekend of cycling with the OHR as a centerpiece. I'm also glad to advise accordingly, but without responsibility, FWIW.

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 11-22-10 at 04:25 PM.