Old 11-23-10, 08:11 AM
marmot

Bikes: Kona Dew Drop, Specialized Expedition Sport

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here's what I got

Don't you hate threads where somebody asks advice on a purchase or route and then never posts the outcome of the search? Well, this isn't one of those.
I was looking for a touring bike to use as an all-round ride for commuting, errands, shopping, day trips, overnighters and trips to the cottage. I was hoping for a year-end bargain and budgeting $800. As it turned out, that wasn't happening: The few dedicated tourers available in town were all much more costly than that.
But I did get a new bike. It's a Kona Dew Drop, a drop-bar hybrid/commuter/light tourer. I got it on sale for $700 Cdn. I'm adding cross levers for added riding comfort, bringing the total, with taxes, to just over my $800 goal. Looks like the rear rack from my old bike will work with the new bike's disc brakes, so there's a cost averted, and my daughter has given me a brand-new set of fenders that didn't work on her bike.
So, I'm not about to cross continents on this rig, but it seems excellent for what I really intend to do. It hauls cargo better than a road bike and hauls @ss better than an MTB. Works for me, and it's really a hoot to ride, coming from a crappy mountain bike and then a big, cushy comfort hybrid. Thanks to all who contributed advice.