View Single Post
Old 11-23-10, 09:54 AM
staehpj1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1251 Post(s)
Liked 756 Times in 561 Posts
Originally Posted by safariofthemind
Since you don't intend to do extended self-supported touring at this time, if I were you, I'd stay with the hybrid and invest the 800 dollars on
1) a better saddle, Brooks or WTB recommended, and a blinkie light for the back
2) good road tires like Marathons
3) good fenders and racks (Tubus recommended)
4) water resistant panniers, Ortlieb recommended
5) a good rain cape and booties for when the whether gets nasty; a reflective vest
6) if there's money left over, a good GPS and a trekking handlebar
Just wanted to say that this stuff is personal preference, but especially if the budget is limited, I disagree with much of that. I'll present my preferences just as another viewpoint to consider. I am not saying one way is right and the other wrong, but merely that this stuff is definitely not a slam dunk.

1. Try the saddle that came with the bike for at least a few hundred miles. I've been quite satisfied with the one that came standard on my windsor on a few longish tours including a coast to coast one. Yes a blinkie is a must, but I have been satisfied with ones purchased on sale at Nashbar or Performance for $5.99 so they really don't impact the budget.
2. I would use the tires that came on the bike until you wear them out. Then decide what you want to replace them. Personally when replacing them I find ride feel and weight as important or more important than flat resistance. Fixing a flat once in a while just isn't a big deal.
3. Fenders yes and racks, but I wouldn't splurge on Tubus if your budget is limited. A Blackburn EX-1 can often be found on sale for a very good price and it is plenty adequate. Similarly I like the low-rider clones from Performance or Nashbar quite well and when on sale they are dirt cheap. After a Trans America and some other longish tours I am still happy with them.
4. On panniers... I like waterproof ones with one big compartment and then organize stuff in big ziplocks. The cheap ones from Nashbar and Performance have worked out well for me and my TA companions. I am happy enough with them that I have no desire to upgrade. That said some people prefer ones with multiple compartments that would require a different choice, watch the weight on some of these. Some of them like Arkel are awfully heavy. For fenders I like the Planet Bike Hardcores pretty well.
5. I use a inexpensive coated nylon jacket with a snug neck (so water doesn't run down it). For wet feet I just chose shoes that don't absorb much water and socks that I find reasonably comfortable when. If winter touring neoprene shoe covers might make sense, but I have never wished for them on any of my tours.
6. I never run without a GPS, I sail with one, I hike with one, I kayak with one. That said I don't bother with it on tour, preferring to leave it home. Also I personally consider a trekking bar to be a big step down from drop bars.