bbeasley
Cat 5 field stuffer

Bikes: Wabi Lightning RE, Wabi Classic

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 3 Posts
Benefits of Group Rides for a rookie

I've got excellent rural roads around my house for riding. Very limited traffic and great paving. But, since Sept 11 when I started riding I've seen exactly 3 other bikes that were cycling enthusiasts in my Parish (same as a County).

I tend to drive the 30 miles to Louisiana's only rail to trail project at least once a week to at least see other bikes.

I felt it was time for a change and found a cycling club in Baton Rouge. It's 45 miles and up to 1 1/2 hours (heavy traffic) away. I've had a blast with these guys and wanted to share why it's been worth 2 - 3 hours of windshield time for a 30 mile ride.

The benefits:

Traffic. I'm getting much more comfortable in traffic. I've been able to watch experienced cyclists and I'm getting better at when to take the lane and when to hide.

Speed. The club/ride leader provides optional sprinting opportunities as part of the ride. I'm much faster when sprinting with other riders compared to my lone efforts. My average speed has now picked up even during commuting and I think it's due to the sprints. This is something I've been struggling with.

Miles. The miles are much easier when chatting with another rider. Gives me something to do other than focusing on my cyclo computer.

Confidence. I was worried I wasn't fast enough to keep up. They have a no drop policy and different rides for different speed groups. The group I'm in rides through town between 13 and 17 MPH. The sprints range from 17 to 25 MPH and once on the MUP it's a race. The sprints end at designated points where everyone catches up. Turns out my pace is fine and I can enjoy chasing the fast guys during the sprints.

If you've never done a group ride you might want to consider it even if it means traveling a bit. I'm really enjoying it.