View Single Post
Old 11-26-10, 09:59 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by jimmuller
I don't get through that part of the city very often and that's enough for me to know that it is lovely and I could get thoroughly lost! A small GPS unit would be nice if the maps were legible. For maps I have a transparent flap on the top of my handlebar bag (yes, I still use one). I print up maps from Delorme StreetAtlas and stick them in the flap. Doesn't do me as much good as it used. If I'm wearing my sunglasses instead of my progressives I can't read them while riding. But if I have to stop anyway to read a map at least this is lighter than a GPS unit would be. I just have to remember to print them up for the area I'm going through.
My favorite map for the metropolitan Boston area is the AAA map. It covers a lot of ground, yet is detailed enough to show a lot of nice quiet roads. It extends from downtown to about five miles or so beyond I-495 in all directions. I usually plan my long rides from Kenmore Square to meet a certain distance goal, so I drew radially oriented hashmarks centered on Kenmore extending out the various sectors of the map at 10 mile intervals. So I can then plan a tentative route to meet the specific goal, from about 40 to 100 miles, usually as a loop. It's a lot easier than trying to trace a route over the crazy Boston streets on Map My Ride. (Easiest is to ride half the distance goal and then retrace the route home. IMO, riding in the reverse direction is equivalent to a different route.)

I touted this map previously on this thread, and since then I went to the AAA office and picked up a couple extras, free for AAA members, and I doubt they are sold. If any AAA non-members are seriously interested, send me a PM.

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 11-26-10 at 11:59 AM.