View Single Post
Old 11-26-10, 11:12 AM
rruff

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by jjgli02
my current headtube is 190 mm on an endurance type frame. I have no spacers and a -7 120mm stem sitting above a headset cone that is about 40 mm in length. The Kestrel head tube on the 55cm is 140 mm and 160mm for the 57cm. I'm not too worried about an aggressive saddle-bar drop as I've been wanting something more aggressive (a 50mm shorter head tube would definitely allow for aggressive).
I wouldn't call a 50mm increase in drop aggressive... I'd call that stupid... as in you are totally taking a shot in the dark by forcing yourself into that. Do you really have a 40mm spacer cone now with a 190mm headtube? That seems extreme... plus, if you want a greater drop, then why haven't you removed it?

I mean even if you got the 57 and had a 20mm spacer, that is still 50mm more drop than you now have. I'm not saying you couldn't do it... I'm 6' with a 34in inseam, and ride a 145mm headtube with no spacers. So with your shorter legs it wouldn't be nearly as much drop as I have. But still, it's a huge change to make all at once. And because you have a long torso, it might be impossible for you to get enough reach even with a long stem.

I'd say go with at least a 57 to get enough reach. That frame would look good with a -17 stem, if you decide you want more drop at some point.