View Single Post
Old 11-26-10, 12:28 PM
thirdgenbird

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by cslone
When I first started riding, I climbed way over the front end and occasionally may have made contact but nothing that sticks out as a huge problem for me. I watched(or read) something talking about proper climbing technique being far back so the weight is more on the rear wheel. Once I switched to that, I got faster up the hills(which is relative because 1. I'm in Ohio, we don't have hills where I'm at and 2. I climb like a semi truck) and any potential problem went away.
When I first started riding, I borrowed a friends 58. He's the same height but leggy. I was uncomfortable from day 1. I ordered a 56 and the team fit guru called before my order came in and said, no way, let me measure you. He came out shaking his head suggesting a 56 TT. The local tri geek fitter came up with the same measurements, 56tt and 56 seat tube. He said, "You are the reason I hate generic fit charts." Somehow it just works. My new bike is a 56stx56tt and it fits like a glove. I had no adjustment period to it at all. Comfortable all day. Now if I could just find a saddle that worked like that.
my forward climbing technique is probably a result of my track (running) background. i'm not alone though:

edit: it looks like he ran a large frame for his size as well. probably for tt length like myself. look at how close his knee is to the bar.

further proof showing that bike forums can not fit you.

Last edited by thirdgenbird; 11-26-10 at 12:34 PM.