Old 11-27-10, 01:33 PM
Smallwheels

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Recently I've been considering buying a Wal-Mart single speed with an aluminum frame. I would then change the rear wheel and hub to a two or three speed internal geared hub (IGH). If there were enough room I'd get a NuVinci hub for it. I suppose I'll need to bring a measuring tape to the store to check how wide the rear frame is spaced.

Several people on the Wal-Mart site complained about the rear wheel bearings being too tight and breaking. Since I'd be swapping the whole thing that wouldn't be a problem for me.

Some people complained about getting flat tires and said they brought the bike back. I just wonder about those people. Why do they expect tires to never get flats? Would they return their cars if they got flats?

The people who seemed to know about bicycle mechanics commented that the bicycles worked fine. They too noticed some of the problems that others had but just made adjustments to the parts. They used the frame as a starting point for their own customization. I'd be doing that too.

So far this is just a mental exercise of what if. It seems like a good idea. A three speed made by Felt costs almost $400.00. I test rode one and it was OK but the gearing was too high for the hills in my area. The rear sprocket was already a twenty-two tooth unit so I'd need to switch the front sprocket. If I recall correctly that would cost a lot to do because the expensive Felt had a single piece crank. Buying a Wal-Mart bicycle and customizing it could be cheaper than buying a three speed Felt from a bicycle shop. The modifications could be done at a pace that is affordable instead of just buying the more expensive three speed. The Wal-Mart single speed aluminum frame bicycle costs $99.00. A new wheel with a two to three speed IGH would cost about $200.00. The Wal-Mart bicycle also has a three piece crank.

It's not likely that I'll ever find an aluminum frame cruiser for sale in the thrift stores or on Craigslist in my small town. Buying from a big box store might be the best alternative for people in some circumstances.

Will a hipster know to go to Wal-Mart to find his single speed or fixed gear bicycle? Maybe the word will get out. Is such a bicycle appealing to a new cyclist who is at the store just looking for something fun to ride? Perhaps the internet will make this bicycle a hit.