Old 11-28-10, 04:08 PM
carleton
Elitist

Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1386 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 77 Posts
Originally Posted by cslone
I'd still see if you can get on a fit bike and play with the measurements. Call CycleSport or someone local and throw them a few bucks to play on the adjustable bike, or go get a fit. I'm almost the exact same measurements, and inflexible as hell. I'm on a Felt 56cm with a 14cm headtube and 30mm of spacer/cone. I couldn't ride a 57+ comfortably at all. Every fit I've had, had come up with a 56cm TT and 100-110mm stem. The cost of a true fit would be beneficial in the fact that if you buy a Kestrel in a 57 and it's too big, you'll lose that money vs getting a fit and finding a bike that actually fits you.

Here's mine, which has a larger stack of spacers that I would like, but I'm inflexible and any longer would be uncomfortable to me.

How far is the nose of your saddle from the center of your bottom bracket? It looks like it's pretty far back in the rails on a set-back seat post. If you can imagine if you took that to an extreme and kept sliding your saddle back further and further while your feet stayed on the pedals, you can see that your hips will close up. But, if you move the saddle forward, your hips will open. Now that you are more forward, you have to adjust for your upper body by extending the stem outward and/or downward.

I would suggest considering moving your riding position forward and rotating it clockwise. Here are John Cobb's thoughts on the idea.

Last edited by carleton; 11-28-10 at 04:18 PM.