View Single Post
Old 11-29-10, 10:43 PM
uvbears

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
miyata 610 help

hello, I recently bought what I think to be a 1981-1983 (not sure exactly) miyata 610. I could use some help from all knowledgeable people here in terms of building it up, part recommendations etc

I am a beginner in terms of mechanic skills but I do have some general knowledge. I am planning on doing as much / all of the work my self. I am trying to spend very little money on this project but still want to get quality made parts that will last (does not have to be fancy)

I have a couple changes I want to make sooner then later. pls let me know your thoughts. thanks!

-swap out 27 inch wheels (they are in rough shape) with modern 700c wheels. I put my 700c wheels in the 610 from my surly cross check and the front wheel fits fine. the brake still works too. so I may order a set of the same rims that the cross check has(alex rims) . any wheel set recommendations?

OR would I be better off just using the alex rims from my cross check and upgrading the cross check wheels? cross check is my semi loaded commmuter / weather bike.

Is using the cross check back wheel and cassette even an option? would it work with the 5 spd friction shifters?

- I want to get modern brake levers and remove the suicide levers. I also want hoods on the levers and maybe even a wider drop bar. what specific parts should i get to accomplish this? would i have to get new cables and brakes? the brakes seem to have some good force left and work pretty well.

also, i enjoy the down tube shifters but would like indexed over friction if it can be done cheaply. if it cant, friction is ok too.

here are a few pics, thx for the info!