Old 12-01-10, 04:28 PM
avner
Fueled by Tigers Blood

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for all the great responses! you're helping me define exactly what I need, I really dig the swrve and I've heard good things about them. The mountain gear looks awesome, especially the way you describe it.
I'm not going to be dealing with much in terms of weather (Snow, Rain, hail, extreme winds) I'm pretty much a fair weather commuter. My only issue is my schedule gets me out decently early (5-7am depending on the day) and will keep me out fairly late (9-10pm when my night classes end) and it will be in the 30-40's at either time. I also do night rides around LA that can last into the morning hours and the chill can really get to you. I also bike throughout the day and right now carrying a pleather jacket that is my only viable wind breaker as well as a sweater for indoor/extra warmth at night. I just want to avoid carrying tons of bulk because it fills my bag and makes it super bulky.

Originally Posted by HardyWeinberg
What do you mean by 'look decent'? Not hi-viz?
More then just none high-viz. I don't dig the greens/yellows all that much. but has a good cut as well.

Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
I don't think you're going to find it. With bike frames ( or wheels ) you have strong, light, and cheap, but you can only get two of them in any incarnation.
As time moves on I'll have more money to invest and if I can find something that someone, or several people have used and highly recommend I would be happy to invest in it. Like some of you have said, I tend to sweat like a horse so layering is something I'd like to ideally avoid, just to keep my laundry basket from getting filled thrice a week.

But over all I guess my criteria is a light/packable, decent looking and warm windbreaking jacket. I don't really need something for all weather conditions, not adverse to it but not a requirement. Sorry to ask this, but with the base layers does anyone have an example? I've dug through a lot stuff related to cold weather cycling and I just don't have a base reference for whats what and I'd like to learn as much as I can to make cycling this winter comfortable and toasty.

Again thank you guys for the responses I really appreciate everyones input.