scozim 
Ellensburg, WA

Bikes: See my signature

Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 313 Post(s)
Liked 458 Times in 160 Posts
Originally Posted by rothenfield1
I’m just going to sling this awful photo of this dirty KHS Montana Pro into the mix to make a point that quality vintage loaded touring bike conversions are out there for the taking. Late 80’s and 90’s steel MTB’s that are well used and scratched-up are not very sexy bikes and often get kicked to the side of the curb. But if you are looking for a bike that you can throw a rack on and go touring for cheap, I can think of no better value than an old MTB. I’m on the road, living in a hotel, blah, blah, blah, go to the local Goodwill and find this bike for $15. True Temper OX frame with complete Deore XT gruppo. Thing is, I don’t think this was just a lucky find, but that this type of bike shows up frequently because they don’t appear to be very valuable to the owners. Just saying, I’ve become a convert from a vintage Italian road bike snob to a fan of the vintage pug-nosed workhorse MTB.
Still no takers on the frame, eh? I'll be in Caldwell, ID for a brief trip sometime in January - too bad I can't make it over to Pocatello. That was a nice find.