Old 12-05-10, 03:17 AM
NoReg
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
This is what I did, and I gather our gas rental scheme is similar. I bought tinman torches, which are cheap excellent quality and good for welding as well as bike work. You can weld bikes just like tig or do brass or silver. But if you don't want to weld, then in general, the set-up you are looking at there is better for the torches. A cutting torch hasn't any direct bike benefit, but I am making a milling machine for which the frame may required me to cut 2 inch plate. No fun on a bandsaw...

Gas wise I am picky, I believe, because it suits me, that propane is better for brazing, better heat level, and cleaner. Potentially much safer. I don't know what the insurance company will say i I burn the place down doing bike work, but they shouldn't flinch if I have an unrelated fire and the only gas I have is my BBQ bottle. I use propane to run my forge, and to weld and braze with. Haven't had an actual BBQ in a while. Accetaline is a sneaky gas, and I wouldn't like to think my neighbours were using it, given the set-backs we live with. It's a good gas though if you have a separate building and a buffer, and learn it's ways. One problem with propane is that it is an O2 hog, but for the number of bikes you are planing that shouldn't mater. I may be getting an O2 concentrator this weekend, and if I do that could save some trouble on the O2 front. Leave my gas supply needs entirely handled at all hours by the local gas station!

If you do all that retail, except for the concentrator, which only makes sense if you get one from the classifieds, then you can probably get it done for around 500. More expensve, but safer and far less expensive trips to the gas place.

Last edited by NoReg; 12-05-10 at 03:20 AM.